This house can be found on Lower Denmark road near Elleker and has been historically listed.
This home was built by James Wilfred Howe-Smith and his wife Myrtle. They had 6 children Mervyn Neil, Doreen Eve, Diana Adeline, Violet Rose, Neville Winston and James Wilfred Jr. The house was so small all the children shared a bed in one tiny little bedroom.
Photographer is Jenelle Smith granddaughter of the original owner
Strawberry Hill Farm
A Government Farm was established at Strawberry Hill in 1827 as part of the first European settlement at King George Sound. In 1833, Sir Richard Spencer was appointed Government Resident at Albany. He purchased the Farm and lived there with his wife Ann, seven sons and three daughters. They lived in a rammed earth cottage until 1836 The current two-storey stone house was built adjoining the older home.
By 1836 the well established gardens were producing blood oranges, grapes, raspberries, gooseberries, asparagus, figs and almonds. The new house was the centre of the district's social life.
After an ongoing cycle of neglect, restoration, and neglect, the property was purchased by the Government in 1956 as an historic monument, and transferred the place to the National Trust in 1964.
Thanks to Dale B.M. for sharing her photos. This is her favourite place to visit when she comes to Albany.
"This stunning heritage property was built in 1882-1884 for William Grylls Knight, one of Albany's first Mayors and a prominent business man. Sold to the government in 1912, this grand house has seen many uses most notably as a Vice Regal Residence for Western Australian Governors, a convalescent home for WW1 soldiers and a girls hostel for regional girls attending Albany Senior High school. The building remains on its original 3 titles and continues to dominate the cityscape and capture more than 180 degree views of Princess Royal Harbour, the city of Albany and out as far as the Wind Farm. In 2004, The Rocks Albany was fully restored, renovated and landscaped and now operates as the only regional five star heritage accommodation in Western Australia.