Thomas Braidwood Wilson, a Scottish navy surgeon, discovered this area in 1829 when conducting an expedition from Frederickstown – later to become Albany. He came across the river here and named it the Denmark River, after Dr Alexander Denmark , his friend and former tutor at Naval Medical College in England.
The town grew around the banks of the river and was initially known as Denmark River, but the word ‘river’ was later dropped. The town’s name, has nothing to do with the country of the same name.
This shows the link of Denmark to the Albany Region
Thank you Amanda Jolly Photography for the cover photo
The timber industry lasted a mere decade, leaving in its wake only a few hardy settlers. Following World War II, improvements in agriculture and a revival in timber cutting rejuvenated the district, and the population has grown at an average 4% per year since the mid-1980s, supporting new settlers and innovative industries. Thanks to http://www.denmarkwa.asn.au/history.htm for the history lesson on Denmark 🙂